
The Banstead Image Library
Banstead Well and Well HouseThe Well, Well House and the War Memorial. Taken in the 1960s.
Picture added on 25 August 2011 at 00:11
This picture is in the following groups
No Group allocated
No Group allocated
External Links
Banstead History
Banstead History


October 19th 1925:
“Transformer by the Village Well
The structure erected by the South Metropolitan Electric Tramways and Lighting Company on the site by the Village Well was criticised. It was proposed by Com[mander] Southby, seconded by Mr [O.T.] Norris, and resolved. “That Epsom Rural District Council be asked when permission was given for the structure to be erected, who gave such permission, why permission was given to build above ground instead of underneath, and why this Council was not consulted.”
Followed, on 21st December 1925, with “Epsom Rural District Council replied concerning the Council’s letter of October 20th about the Electric Light Structure by the Village Well that having regards to the terms of it they decided to take no action. It was resolved to reply ‘Reverting to your letter of 14th December to the Parish Council that objection was taken to the tone of our letter of 20th October last, this Council certainly intended no discourtesy in writing the letter and hopes that it may be favoured with replies to the specific questions contained therein.’”
January 19th 1926: “A letter from Epsom Rural District Council inviting members to meet a committee from that council by the Switch Pillar near the Village Well at 11am on January 14th was read. Com. Southby reported that, with Mr Gale and Mr Rogers, the matter was discussed with the committee and the engineer of the electric lighting company and agreed to put the switch underground if possible, and, if not, to put a more suitable structure above.”
March 22nd 1926: “A long letter from the S.M.E.T. & Lighting Company to E.R.D.C. and dated 2nd February was considered concerning the structure by the Village Well. The chief points in it were:- that the green colour could be changed to a light grey or aluminium picked out in black with street direction signs thereon, that the advantages of the structure were a convenient supply of electricity and a free supply of lighting on this dangerous corner [there was even a suggestion by E.R.D.C. not long before that the well housing could be moved elsewhere to make this junction safer] & that if this be not agreed to the Company shall be allowed to erect a sub-station and pillar underneath the well umbrella. The Company ask that they be not requested to remove the structure without due consideration and after three months’ experience.
“A letter from Mr E. J. Henton to the Chairman setting out the advantages of the light to a very large number of residents was read.
“It was resolved to postpone the matter for three months.”
The matter seems to have been dropped and is not mentioned again. So, erected in autumn 1925, originally green and then possibly grey/aluminium with black detailing (1926 or later).
Source: Banstead Parish Council minutes researched by James Crouch. June 2019